Posted by Agnes Iley , Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:55 PM

Faceless crowds, suddenly got a whole different meaning

You might remember that I did this piece for the first assignment.
At the time I also did a little sample in fabric, that I said I would like to make as well. So for stage 3 I thought perfect, I’ll do that!
I cut my fabrics “wonder-undered" them and was just about ready to start stitching. But I wasn’t happy suddenly it didn’t speak to me anymore.
Over the past month we’ve been seeing the power of crowds in the world. Governments being overthrown and possibly a whole new war started. All by the power of people coming together to demonstrate. So I felt the need to update my crowd a little. So my little blue crowd went out of the window. I made the front page of a newspaper by digitizing all the text. I then used the embroidery module of my machine to stitch this out. I printed some pictures of demonstrators on fabric threated with digital ground. And appliqued these, together with some coloured bars, onto the newspaper.
Now I must admit that I was pretty happy with this result. But then came the scary part…..
I stitched my crowd in monochrome colours this time, it had to be, it was a newspaper after all. And added another picture to the backside of my newspaper. Now for the scary bit…I cut up the newspaper to make it look like it was torn.  Then the crow was positioned behind the newspaper. Now all that was needed was to open up the window a little more, by folding back the edges. And voila….another stage 3/4 conundrum was made.

2 Response to " "

Candice LeSueur Farnsworth Says:

Hello Agnes! I love your art of the Faceless Crowd. I am wondering if I might be able to use it as the image for a magazine article I am developing for my college class, and I would reference you. Would that be okay?

Agnes Iley Says:

Hello Candice,
Ofcourse you may use the picture as long as it's credited to me. Would love to receive a copy of the article.
Agnes

Post a Comment