Posted by Agnes Iley , Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:12 PM

Sidetracked...

I think I may have written earlier that although I am attracted to abstract art, my own work always has strong roots in reality.
But after the assignments I’ve done so far and reading through the chapters of this one I kept thinking about shapes and moving space.
In particular with regards to this sample I did for the fabric dying exercises.

I was wondering about how the squares in the middle could be 3 dimensional cubes. Then circles came to mind and before I knew it I spent the next 2 weeks working with shapes.
Now I must tell you that my favorite answer to “what are you making?” is “oh….nothing”. And I’ll stick to that answer until I am finished.

However now……for the first time ever I can stick to that answer….after 2 weeks of trying, sampling and working I made absolutely nothing……
I know the execution could be better. If I would make this again the ball would be constructed differently. But I was very much working out how to construct whilst going along.

All the fabric has been tied and then bleached, the whole thing started out as black fabric. I made the outer frame from wood and covered this in felt and then I hand sewed the fabric around it, trying to keep the edges sharp.

The ball is suspended in mid-air by a framework of threads.
And the cubes were first sewn and then stuffed with little cardboard boxes for rigidity.

I know this “thing” doesn’t fit the brief of any of the exercises, that doesn’t matter.
I am happy with it and just wanted to show what effect this course has had on my way of “seeing things” already.
1 March 2011

4 Response to " "

Cindi Says:

Awesome....very nice piece! MG

Shashi Nayagam Says:

Agnes I have had a wonderful time looking through your blog. All your work just leaves me speechless. What can I say I am gobsmacked!!!

Oh I did want to ask you one thing that is how did you upload the template to your blogger from Theme crafts. I am no wiz kid so I would like to know how to do it as I have seen a few nice looking templates in Theme craft that I would like to use for my blog.

Jean Bernard Says:

AMAZING work my friend! I enjoyed them all. You are an inspiration!
Love, Jean

natalie Says:

What an interesting perspective you have, I am inspired!

My "big box" hasn't arrived yet bit i have very itchy fingers and want to get going already.

I can't comment with a URL so this is the link to where I am...

http://theyarnyard.co.uk/blog

Post a Comment