Posted by Agnes Iley , Sunday, October 17, 2010 7:14 AM

Breaking it down

Time for another experiment. When I was looking for textural pictures.
I found this picture of a flower. It left me a little dumbfounded. How would I recreate this texture?

So I figured I needed a little help.
I used my computer software to turn this picture into a sketch.
This gave me a far better idea of how to recreate the imagetexture.

I got the oil pastels out and instead of trying to make a precise drawing I just tried to recreate the blocks of colour in the picture. The marks I made where quite loose.

Then I got out some cotton buds and dipped them in white spirits. Instead of covering the whole area I gently dragged the buds over the paper in the direction of the petals.
After this I emphasized the petals with some very light pencil markings.
A bit of black oil pastel was added to make the flower pop.
Not a masterwork, but I was very happy with it.
image
The oil pastels did get my imagination going.
I wonder if similar effects can be achieved on fabric. Cotton might be to absorbent for the white spirits to work, but maybe silks???
Definitely something I need to experiment with!

1 Response to " "

ruthanne Says:

I really like what you created. Yes, I keep playing with paper to will it work on cotton.

Post a Comment